The Knitter's Last Stand

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Having a ball

Hi all.

We've been having a ball travelling around the north island (mainland Australia) for the past week and a half.

We've been to Mount Gambier, Adelaide, Port Augusta, Coober Pedy, conferencing in Alice Springs and now we are at Uluru.

It has been a blast but travelling is oh so tiring. Little missy has done a lot of dozing in the back seat while DH has been driving and I have been TA DA knitting.

I have completed my blue Patonyle socks, knit a pair of Opal socks for myself and started a pair of blue fleck Opal socks. The Opal knits up sooooooooo beautifully. Why have I used other sock yarn? Could it be that the other stuff is a lot cheaper to buy?

I haven't as yet completed the mystery project but it is almost done. It was too hot in Alice Springs for it any way.

While in the Alice we went out for dinner and tried crocodile and it was really nice. It is hard to explain the flavour but others have said it tasted a bit like chicken and they are riight but it has a slightly firmer texture than chicken though.

Last night DH has kangaroo for dinner and it was sooooooooooo nice.

Until next time (or the next internet cafe) keep on knitting.

Cathy

6 Comments:

  • Dear Cathy, I am wearing my socks as I type this, the weather is turning cool so it is sock weather. The Opal sock wool IS lovely to knit with and so soft to wear. I am really surprised at how great they feel, I thought they might feel "knitted"!!!
    I have never been up the middle of Australia, it sounds very mysterious, strange and exotic. Did you see any opals of the gem kind ( of course your socks are gems!!!)
    Love
    Cindy

    By Blogger 2paw, at 2:52 pm  

  • We saw lots of opals of the gem kind at Coober Pedy.

    I don't need to wear my Opal socks at the moment as the weather is about 24deg. C at the moment even though it gets colder at night.

    It is truly wonderful up the middle of Aust. but it is also quite barren.

    DH has just got back from walking around the big rock and he has also been on a chopper flight over the same and The Olgas.

    He is now lying doown with heat stroke. Whew what a day.

    Little miss and I went for a walk around the Resort we are staying at and also found the local playground and had a rest so we have filled our day in as well.

    Catch you later.

    Cathy

    By Blogger Cathy, at 4:56 pm  

  • I hope your DH is taking lots of lovely piccys. What a surprise to see a comment on my blog from you, can't wait till you are back and you can fill us in on the rest of Oz.

    By Blogger Sharon, at 6:23 pm  

  • Wow - lots of socks! Socks are such good car knitting - I get lots done when I don't have to drive, but DH can't drive my car and we only have one....
    Opal socks are rather appropriate, I'd say!

    By Blogger yarnivorous, at 10:02 pm  

  • I didn't even know that Roo was a common food/meat. Is it bland?

    Sounds like a great vacation, and you are knitting too.

    Talk to you soon.
    Shel

    By Blogger delirious, at 7:40 am  

  • Roo is quite gamey and can be strong flavoured.

    Kangaroo soup is very delicate to taste whereas kangaroo patties are stronger flavoured.

    Cathy

    By Blogger Cathy, at 7:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home